1. We have an entire language named after us! It originated in medieval England and has since gone on to become the world’s most spoken language and is the official language of almost 60 sovereign states.
2. England has produced some of the greatest musicians the world has ever seen including the likes of David Bowie, The Beatles, Elton John, Kate Bush, The Rolling Stones, Queen and many others.
3. We have invented some of the most commonly used things the world has ever seen including the programmable computer, the electric motor, television, the telephone and the internet! Now not many other countries can say that! Oh and Football, we invented that too.
4. Sir David Attenborough.
5. We drink more tea than any other country in the world! In fact I think I’ll go and put the kettle on now (and yes, we also invented the kettle!)
6. We like to have a nice drink don’t we? We also serve the most popular beers in the world. England is famous for its ales and wines – forget the French and Germans, England is where the top quality is!
7. England is home to some of the most famous artists who ever lived including William Hogarth, Nicholas Hilliard, James Thornhill and many others. More modern artists include the likes of Banksy and Damian Hirst.
8. We have won the World Cup. OK so only once admittedly and we have been shockingly bad since then at Football! But it’s one more time than many other countries such as Holland, Sweden, Russia, USA, and Portugal to name but a few that have never won it at all!
9. Harry Potter.
10. We love crumpets and crumpets are cool. We even toast them in ANOTHER English invention – The Toaster!
11. We are extremely proficient in sports that don’t involve feet too such as Cricket, Rugby, Snooker and Darts.
12. We have a monarchy to be proud of. The Queen has just become the longest serving monarch our great country has ever seen and the family’s heritage is rich. Queen Victoria is Queen Elizabeth’s great great Grandmother.
13. Stephen Fry.
14. Monty Python. Perhaps the single greatest comedy sketch show ensemble the world has ever seen. The group reformed back in 2014 for a series of gigs at the o2 arena in London.
15. England has produced some of the finest leaders in modern history, Sir Winston Churchill famously led us to victory in the Second World War…..perhaps we could do with someone like that now!
16. Joanna Lumley.
17. Our great capital city of London is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and it’s not hard to see why. London is home to some of the most famous historical landmarks in the world such as Big Ben, Tower Bridge, The Great Tower of London and many others.
18. English poetry is a joy to behold. We have given the world such Legendary writers and poets as William Shakespeare, Rudyard Kipling and the aptly named William Wordsworth.
19. James Bond.
20. Perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time – ‘Only Fools and Horses’. Good old Del Boy and Rodney are the most watched English sitcom duo there has ever been. Still as popular today
as ever they have entertained generation after generation of English families.
21. The English have a knack for producing quality children’s TV. Blue Peter, Noddy, Bagpuss, Grange Hill, Andy Pandy and many others are all classic favourites whilst more recent English shows include Mr Tumble, Peppa Pig and Tellytubbies!
22. Lord Of the Rings
23. England is host to some of the most diverse and historically rich cities in the world such as Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham and Bristol to name just a few.
24. Our two most watched television shows are Eastenders and Coronation Street. Whilst many find the shows a tad depressing at times you cannot argue that they have produced some of the most memorable and entertaining television moments of the last 30 years.
25. Sir Michael Caine.
26. Last but by no means least, our courageous British Army.