Our great Duke of Edinburgh doesn’t half have a reputation for sticking his foot
in it! Here’s our countdown of the top seven Gaffe’s Prince Phillip has made
during his reign as the Queen’s consort.
7. Back in 1999, he told some children from the British Deaf Association that “if
you’re near that music it’s no wonder you’re deaf” as they stood next to a
Caribbean Steel Band.
6. Whilst on a trip to Oban in the mid nineties, he asked a Scottish driving
instructor “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the
5. To the Legendary singer Elton John, Phillip once asked: “Oh it’s you that
owns that ghastly car is it? We often see it when driving to Windsor Castle!”
4. While touring an Edinburgh factory he once said a fused board “looked as
though it had been put in by an Indian!”
3. Whilst speaking about his daughter Princess Anne, he said “if it doesn’t fart
our eat hay she isn’t interested”.
2. To the president of Nigeria who was dressed in traditional robes he said
“You look like you’re ready for bed”.
1. Back in the swinging sixties, Prince Phillip muttered the famous clanger
“British women can’t cook”.